History of Hope United Methodist Church
The Methodist churches followed the settlement of Duluth in locating their churches. Duluth was building new homes beyond the near downtown. Streetcars were running to the outskirts of the city. People were moving out
It is there we find the story of a neighborhood Sunday School that met in a home at Eighteenth Ave East and Greysolon Road . The membership outgrew the residence and moved to a room in the streetcar barn located at 16th avenue and Superior Street. Members of the Sunday School decided it was time to organize a church. By 1894, the little congregation had established and was in the Morley Congregational Church at Nineteenth Avenue East and First Street. Following the Panic of 1893, the little church had financial difficulties. Meanwhile a committee from the First Methodist Church in downtown Duluth was looking for a site to build another church in the eastern section of Duluth. They were approached by representatives of the Morley Congregational Church. The committee approved of the location. There was a streetcar line on Superior Street and one on Fourth Street. The surrounding neighborhood was built up. People could easily walk to church.
In 1902, the Morley Church became the Endion Methodist Episcopal Church. The Methodists paid the outstanding debts of the Morley Church. A majority of the members of the Morley congregation joined the new church. They provided valued leadership for many years. The congregation worked diligently and dedicated their new church in 1909. The church is still in use but no longer serves a Methodist congregation.
The community of Woodland was getting settled by 1913. A Union Sunday School was meeting at a home and soon moved Cobb School. In 1915, a committee of Methodists organized the Woodland Methodist Episcopal Community Chapel. Members of the Union Sunday School were invited to the new church. The chapel was built on the hill at Owatonna and Kolstad Streets. This was the first Protestant church in Woodland. The Chapel burned in the 1918 Fire. Services were again held at Cobb School while members worked diligently to build their new church at Winona and Elysian. The congregation was in their new church in 1920. The church building is serving another denomination.
During the 1960’s, the congregation at Endion recognized that a change in location could better serve their members and the Church’s responsibility for the Campus ministry at UMD. The present site was selected for its proximity to the campus as well as other amenities such as parking space. The University Methodist Church was dedicated in September, 1966.
In the late 1990’s, the congregations of Woodland Methodist and University Methodist churches were discussing the merits of becoming one church. In 2000, the combined congregations were meeting as the University-Woodland Methodist Church. The congregation decided they needed a different name and they voted for Hope. September 2002, Hope United Methodist Church became the official name of the present church at the corner of Carver and St. Marie Street.